Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Best Birthday Ever!!!

The moment Jenny and Cindy walked in.


So Jay and my family managed to completely surprise me this year. I thought I had an idea of what was going on, but I was just clueless. And what they did made me feel more loved than I've ever felt before.

After a day of shopping and seeing a movie, Jay and I headed over to Geo and Jordan's for what I thought was going to be a relaxing dinner party. I walk in and see a bunch of people I love, and I probably should have been tipped off by all the cameras going off (it was like the paparazzi in there), but I just thought everyone wanted to have something to put up for Facebook on Monday. But then they sit me down in a big chair (with a gorgeous lit up sign behind it) and tell me they are going to "roast" me. I'd mentioned to Jay months ago that I think I would enjoy being roasted, and well, he made it happen. People are telling stories and laughing, but there is definitely a weird energy in the room. Terri and Jay keep getting up to leave, and everyone's eyes are darting around, but I'm too overwhelmed to even think about it.

After a story by Noah and Geo, I hear "I've got a story!" and I look up and Cindy and Jenny are walking into the room. It makes me tear up just thinking about it. I was sooooo shocked to see them. I stood up to hug them and the waterworks started. For the next 5 minutes, as they told a couple embarrassing stories (me making Cindy do the sign of the cross before entering my bedroom, Jenny saving my life after I choked on a chocolate covered cherry), I tried to wrap my brain around what was happening. Then Mom and Dad walked in! And I started crying again. They showed an amazing slideshow and I laughed and smiled for the rest of the night.

Then last night I got another present from Jay--a hardcover book with pictures and stories from all the people I love in my life. I want to carry it around in my bag and read it all day long but I'm afraid of hurting it. So I'm going to put it next to my bed and read it every night before I go to sleep, so I'll have nice dreams.

I can't even explain what this birthday felt like--totally overwhelming and beautiful and happy. And all possible because of my boyfriend and family. It was the best gift I've ever gotten--being able to understand how loved I am by the people I love so much.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

So you got the book! You have to bring in for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

YEA!! I can't wait to see the book! Love you Mattie!